Tompkins County Public Library

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Learning Languages

We had a lot of fun remembering how we first learned our native language. Many of us shared our struggles as we began to learn other languages. Some excellent tips were given to help in learning English. Most participants suggested that listening to a movie in English while having English subtitles was the most helpful. TCPL has a wide range of dvd's to borrow and we look forward to hearing suggestions of which titles were especially helpful or enjoyable.




4 comments:

  1. I think this topic was very helpful for me. I had been looking forward to this topic. So I'm really sorry to join this meeting. I couldn't go there as personal reason. I hope to go next conversation meeting. see you ^^ thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for not being there, due to heavy snow. Today, on my way home from BOCES, my car almost slipped over on the snow and run out of the lane. I was scared to death.

    I'd like to truly take part in today's session owing to the most attractive topic for non-English speakers.
    I hope to hear about what other ways are helpful to improve the communication skill next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're safe, IJ!

      Several people thought that watching movies was a very helpful way to learn English - especially movies in English with English subtitles or captions.

      Do you use Facebook? There is a discussion about this on our ESL at TCPL facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/tcpl.esl

      Hope to see you next week!

      Delete

Leave a comment and we'll post it as soon as we can!